Botox Injections in Chicago and North Shore
Botulinum toxin type A, now commonly referred to as “Botox,” is a technologically advanced solution of a purified neurotoxin, that in minute quantities, acts safely to reduce wrinkles in the short term and slightly modify the position of the eyebrows. Botox injections provide an extraordinary opportunity to maintain a youthful appearance. Systematic use of Botox therapy injections on fine lines can combat wrinkles before they deepen, or delay the onset of new ones. A sequence of precise injections, typically from one to three injections in a year, can prevent the deepening of existing finer, premature wrinkles and reduce considerably the use of forehead muscles, responsible for wrinkling. In most cases, where the main concern is to prevent hyper functional facial lines, Botox injections can delay the need for surgical intervention by years. The goal is of Botox is not an unnatural and complete elimination of facial expression, rather to soften and retrain the patterns of facial expressions.
Botox Injections can:
- Temporarily soften and lessen the patterns of horizontal wrinkling in the forehead
- Lessen the vertical lines between the eyebrows
- Address the fan-shaped wrinkles in the outer corners of the upper eyes, that may extend to the upper cheek area
- Provide a subtle elevation of the inner eyebrows to restore a refreshed appearance.
- Soften and lessen the vertical lines of the neck.
- Treat migraine headaches.
The overall balance and delicate harmony of facial features alters with the passage of time. As we age, the upper third of the face- the region above the eyes- can change in ways that cause a gradual lowering of the position of the eyebrows and a subtle emergence of furrows and frown lines, as well as horizontal creases across the forehead region. Similarly, years of repeated brow muscle movement such as squinting, frowning and smiling, may cause wrinkles and folds to appear and accelerate a brow descent. Muscle over-activity may even trigger tension or migraine headaches. Significant lines and wrinkles often cause facial expressions to be misinterpreted as angry, anxious, fearful, or fatigued. With time the resulting facial expression may become accentuated and permanent.
Botox therapy is a safe treatment involving micro injections strategically placed in specific muscles of the forehead that cause squinting and frowning. It blocks the release of acetylcholine, which causes muscles to move and contract. By blocking communication between the nerve fiber and the muscle, contraction of the muscle is weakened. With the temporarily reduction in muscle movement, overlying skin movement is lessened, wrinkles and folds become softer, and crow’s feet are diminished. Facial expression becomes less tense, more natural and relaxed.
The procedure takes a few minutes; no aesthesia is required and recovery downtime is minimal: most men and women are able to resume work and social interaction immediately. The effect of Botox injections can be immediate, though in most cases, wrinkles have visibly lessened by the third to fifth day following injection. Results may last up to seven months.
Refined, natural looking results, undetected by surgical intervention are highly dependent upon an experienced injector. Disappointing results are often the direct consequence of a lack of rigor in surgical judgment or an over reliance on the Botox technology formulation, without corresponding injector skills. As with other facial injections, results are extremely technique-dependant and there are risks of adverse effects, if misapplied.
Identifying the precise location of correction, as well as the optimal volume to inject, which varies considerably for each individual, requires an experienced surgeon with a careful approach. Ultimately, it is the strategic and skillful manner of injection that will make all the difference: to ensure a smoothness of result that is above all, refined, natural looking and has longevity.
Botox therapy can be used an independent treatment or as a combined approach with other treatments, that may include microdermabrasion and medical grade peels to further reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
Dysport in Chicago
What is Dysport?
- Dysport® is a prescription injection that is FDA approved for the temporary improvement in the look of moderate-to-severe frown lines between the eyebrows (otherwise known as glabellar lines) in patients less than 65 years of age.
- Dysport® is a purified form of botulinum toxin that has been shown to deliver temporary improvement in moderate to severe frown lines by blocking the signal from the nerve to the muscles, ultimately resulting in a reduction of muscle activity, temporarily preventing contraction of the muscles that cause frown lines and reducing the appearance of frown lines.
Facts on Frown Lines
- Frown lines are caused by a number of factors, and not always caused by age.
- Although age is a factor, over time, the muscles above and between the eyebrows repeatedly contract and tighten, during frowning or squinting, and this repeated movement forms lines between the eyebrows.
The Ideal Dysport Patient
- Dysport® is designed for adults less than 65 years of age who want a prescription injection for the temporary improvement in the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows.
How is Dysport Administered
- Dysport® is administered by a physician or qualified healthcare professional who is a trained injector.
- Effective treatment requires one injection into each of five points between and over the eyebrows, two injection points above each eyebrow in the corrugator muscle and one injection point between the eyebrows in the procerus muscle
- Although office visit times vary, the procedure generally takes 10 to 20 minutes.
- A very small needle is used to inject Dysport so it is relatively pain free and no anesthetic is needed.
- It is recommended that patients wait for a period of 3 months in between injections.
Expected Dysport Results
- In clinical studies, Dysport® has been shown to deliver temporary improvement in moderate to severe frown lines, for up to 4 repeat treatments And safety was evaluated in up to 12 repeat treatments.
- The effect of repeat treatment with Dysport® may be comparable to your first use. Efficacy has been demonstrated to be maintained up to 4 repeat treatments with no change in efficacy response over time.
- Dysport® has been shown to provide results that may last up to 4 months.
*Please see important safety information below and full prescribing information
What is the most important information you should know about Dysport?
Spread of Toxin Effects: In some cases, the effects of Dysport and all botulinum toxin products may affect areas of the body away from the injection site. These effects can cause symptoms of a serious condition called botulism. Symptoms of botulism can happen hours to weeks after injection and may include swallowing and breathing problems, loss of strength and muscle weakness all over the body, double vision, blurred vision and drooping eyelids, hoarseness or change or loss of voice, trouble saying words clearly, or loss of bladder control. Swallowing and breathing problems can be life threatening and there have been reports of death.
The risk of symptoms is probably greatest in children and adults treated for muscle spasms, particularly in those patients who have underlying medical conditions that could make these symptoms more likely.
The toxic effects have been reported at doses similar to those used to treat muscle spasms in the neck. Lower doses, in both approved and unapproved uses, have also caused toxic effects. This includes treatment of children and adults for muscle spasms.
These effects could make it unsafe for you to drive a car, operate machinery, or do other dangerous activities.